Southern Revolutionary War Institute
In July 2006 the Culture & Heritage Museums in York County, SC, officially announced the creation of the Southern Revolutionary War Institute, based at the McCelvey Center in York, SC.
- Primary and secondary research materials consisting of books, microfilm, computer databases and historical artifacts relating to the Southern Campaign;
- The Bobby G. Moss Revolutionary War Collection;
- Microfilm copies of the Lyman C. Draper Manuscript Collection, the Cornwallis Papers, and North and South Carolina Audited Accounts for Revolutionary War service;
- The published papers of Henry Laurens, Nathanael Greene, and other important Rev War figures;
- Copies of virtually every important book published on the Revolution in the Southern colonies.
Utilizing the CHM’s library, archives, and historical collections, the Institute fills a void in Revolutionary War studies and scholarly resources, which traditionally have concentrated on the Northern campaigns of the American Revolution. The institute is the only center exclusively dedicated to the study of the Revolution in the Southern states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. Although the general scope of the Institute is the entire Southern Campaign, it has a particular focus on the Revolutionary War in the Carolina backcountry.
Culture & Heritage Museums historian Zach Lemhouse serves as the institute’s research director. The institute has also successfully recruited a distinguished advisory council composed of scholars who have made significant contributions to the study of the Southern Campaign.
In addition to serving as a scholarly research center, the Southern Revolutionary War Institute offers academic internships and volunteer opportunities, publishes scholarly books and articles and presents ongoing public educational programs including lectures, guided tours and a biennial symposium.
Books on the Revolutionary War
- African-American Loyalists Index By: Dr. Bobby G. Moss and Michael C. Scoggins revised by Kay Dunn
- African-American Loyalists in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution By: Dr. Bobby G. Moss and Michael C. Scoggins
- African-American Patriots in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution By: Dr. Bobby G. Moss and Michael C. Scoggins
- The Day it Rained Militia: Huck’s Defeat and the Revolution in the South Carolina Backcountry, May–July 1780 By: Michael C. Scoggins
- Reflections of Rebellion: Hours with the Living Men and Women of the Revolution By: Michael C. Scoggins
- Relentless Fury: The Revolutionary War in the Southern Piedmont By: Michael C. Scoggins
Other books on the York County History
- A Brief History of Historic Brattonsville
- Images of America: York
- Historic York County