About the McCelvey Center
This grand historic building houses a 500-seat theater and is home to the Historical Center of York County and the Southern Revolutionary War Institute. The original circa 1856 building, built to house the Yorkville Female Institute, burned around 1900. Rebuilt in 1903, the building then served as York Graded School. In 1951, it was renamed York Elementary School, and in 1973 it was named McCelvey Elementary School in honor of George C. McCelvey, principal from 1912 to 1948.
The school closed in 1987 and a group of community leaders, anxious to save the historic site, formed McCelvey Center, Inc., and raised funds to renovate the building. In 2001, McCelvey Center joined the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County. The theater has been newly fitted with state-of-the-art audio, visual and digital equipment.
The theater and reception room are available for corporate training, presentations, community activities, wedding receptions and other social functions. Classrooms are available for meetings.
Prices begin at $400 for an event; hourly rate for meeting space available beginning at $25. Studio rental prices are based on square footage.